View Single Post
Samicat
Veteran Member

Member Since Jan 2023
1,590 hugs
given
Default Apr 01, 2023 at 03:49 AM

All I can add to what others have said is to trust your feelings and your reason. It sounds like deep down you know what you need to do, but you are being swayed by people who really don't understand. Your mother may think it's better to have physical support even without emotional support, but she's wrong. Both are important but to be with someone with no empathy is soul destroying. My mother is a narcissist and sometimes after I listen to her on the phone for an hour, I feel like I don't really exist, like I have no personality or I'm not real. It's hard to explain but she has such a strong personality and just talks over me, and people think she's charming because she has an English accent and is socially capable. She was abusive when I was growing up (especially in my teens after my Dad left) and she also abused my brother mentally and physically which scarred me because I was older and protective.

You sound like a rational person and thus you must trust your reason. I've been reading about the philosophy of Stoicism (not what you'd think - the meaning of the word in modern times is different). Stoics believe in doing the difficult thing if you know it's the right path for you. Sometimes the most difficult thing is also the best. Many years ago I left a toxic (but not abusive) relationship and it was absolutely the best thing I ever did. I met my husband later - but even being single was far preferable than being with my ex.

You've got this.
p.s. check out Ryan Holiday stoic videos on YouTube. It's actually a comforting philosophy (has helped my mental health). And because it's philosophy not religion, you can basically cherry pick what you like!
Samicat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Have Hope, TishaBuv