View Single Post
LiteraryLark
Crowned "The Good Witch"

Member Since Jun 2009
1,318 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 02, 2023 at 12:47 AM

To keep it short, my therapist has encouraged me to seek a support group such as AA. I decided I will go to an AA meeting, but I am extremely nervous. I am afraid of being put on the spot and telling my story about my alcohol problem. I am afraid of "getting to know" the people at AA. I am afraid it will be uncomfortable or awkward. And I am not very familiar with AA meetings and I do not know what to expect.

If I can practice here, and this is not something I share openly...my parents are alcoholics, and I am resentful because it has led both me and my sibling to have alcohol problems. I have bad memories associated with alcohol, and I drink excessively though I typically drink alone. It has made me an angry person, and it led to an incident where my therapist was concerned enough to suggest I seek help, and since she and the people close to me are concerned about my drinking, I decided I will try AA.

Will someone walk me through what I can expect? Do people really find it helpful? I will be attending an in-person meeting.
LiteraryLark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FloatThruThis, unaluna

Thanks for this!
unaluna