View Single Post
SnappingRope

Member Since May 2020
Default Apr 02, 2023 at 04:15 AM

Haha. An AI therapist would probably do a pretty good job. The title is because I can't shake the feeling this is all a simulation. If that turns out to be true, what reason have I got to suppose I'm not one of the AIs loaded into the program to facilitate interactions with the real players? In a simulation this realistic you'd have to make AIs that thought they were real in order for them to be convincing for the actual players to interact with. There's a pretty good chance I'm an AI with some buggy code going on.

Read your blog on the who am I meditation. Sounds similar to a realisation I had about the impossibility of truth or knowledge. Ask a question, any question. Then ask of the question "why?" and repeat the process for the answer. Eventually you will find that the foundation for what you believe to be knowledge rests on nothing at all. I'll give an example:

Q: why do women sway their hips when they walk?
A: because their hips are comparatively wider than males and in order to support the body's weight during a stride the hip above the foot making contact must move inward toward the centre of mass.
Q: why do women have wide hips?
A: to allow the passage of a child during birth.
Q: why do women need to give birth?
A: to facilitate the continuance of the species.
Q: why is it important to continue the species?

That question is essentially "why life?" or "why existence?". No one knows the answer to those questions, so you soon realise everything you think you know rests upon a foundation that rests upon a foundation that rests upon a gaping hole. All we think we know we know only by degrees of misplaced faith. There is no such thing as truth except this sentence.
SnappingRope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
SquarePegGuy