View Single Post
RollercoasterLover

Member Since Apr 2021
58 hugs
given
Default Apr 03, 2023 at 07:54 PM

I think taking some classes is a great step. I know I was hired for my current job specifically because of classes I took online during the pandemic.

I think courses in areas where you know you aren't the strongest may be good. Not only will you learn specifics, but you'll get practice which can help build confidence. So when an interviewer asks in the future why you left your last job, you can say, my skills weren't the best match. Since leaving.that position, I've taken courses to improve my skills." But don't stop there. It's your chance to interview the company.... immediately ask the interviewer... what skills are most important for success at XYZ Company?" Doing this honestly answers the question and effectively changes the focus.

The state where I live offers some support in the form of free practice with interviewing skills and some free advice on resumes, negotiations and how the prepare for interviews. It wasn't anything fun, but I did find it very helpful to practice with a person who could coach me to better answers than I was giving. Does your state offer services like that?
RollercoasterLover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Have Hope