View Single Post
Waterbear
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2016
1,316 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 04, 2023 at 11:10 AM

Thank you so much for this post, East, as when I was in session today I could feel myself getting frustrated with my therapist. We had been talking about one of my core memories from my trauma, and then her line of questioning was taking me away from that. I could feel myself getting frustrated and struggling to follow her questions and answer her questions because they seemed totally irrelevant. Well, proud moment alert, firstly I managed to tell her I was getting frustrated. Then thankfully she asked if I could elaborate on that. Normally something I find very difficult, especially when I think it's blindingly obvious why I'm struggling, but thanks to this post I realised/remembered that she has no idea what is going on for me, and that maybe I need to tell her. So I drew a diagram to help me try and explain that my head was firmly still thinking about/processing/wanting to talk about the memory, but it felt like she was pulling me in a very different direction and I didn't like it. Well blow me down, she calmy said, let's go back there then!!!!!! Ha! That was so much easier than what normally would have happened, me feeling unable to communicate or feeling like she should know and getting upset with her and then it causing a rift and parts of me to come out that aren't so helpful etc etc. All I had to do was communicate with her what was going on for me. And even better would have been if I'd been able to say "can we go back thinkijg about x please?" I'm grateful she stepped in to help me on that but but proud that I managed to do what I did. Maybe it really does help!!
Waterbear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AliceKate, LonesomeTonight, LostOnTheTrail, ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
AliceKate, East17, LonesomeTonight