Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 06, 2023 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceKate View Post
You don't have to take hugh steps, not even one single big one. many small ones are fine. small as is hardly noticable. Like when you walk somewhere and you look back an hour later and you're like wow that was a long way. If you achieve that feeling within say 2 years, that's fine.

I agree with this. Maybe it would help to set some very small goals with her?

Here's a personal example: So I developed some agoraphobia (fear of being outside/among people) during the earlier part of the pandemic. Merely being outside of the house was freaking me out. So my T came up with some gradual steps for me. One being to just open the door and stand there, looking outside. Another to step onto my porch for a minute. One to just go sit in my car without going anywhere. Then to drive around the block, etc. And we celebrated each one.

So for social anxiety, you could come up with similar small goals. Maybe one is, say, calling to make a needed appointment on the phone. Or going and placing a carryout order at a restaurant (or on the phone). Taking a walk where you could potentially run into other people. A brief shopping trip, etc. But small, attainable goals.
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
cool09, Discombobulated