View Single Post
WastingAsparagus
Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 07, 2023 at 05:30 AM

It's hard to comment on this without full context, which obviously I don't have nor would I solicit, but to comment on my own experience with therapists, it seems like sometimes therapists are one of two types (this is a huge generalization, so don't take it to be the only two types of therapists). They are either action-oriented or insight-oriented.

That doesn't mean that either can't help you. I had one therapist that practiced in a more action-oriented fashion for me but that just ended up amplifying my perfectionism and me being hard on myself.

So obviously, the fit might not be right if you're thinking you need a therapist that might be more insight-oriented.

Because it doesn't seem to me like the therapist is throwing up their hands, as some do, and we all know this, probably, that some therapists just can't help us.

Anyway, I hope you find your way with this particular therapist or perhaps you could make a switch. But you could also express your concerns to this particular therapist, such as "I didn't feel comfortable with the way you expressed the fact that I have to do all the work." I.e., asking this therapist "What did you mean by that?" might be a good place to start.

WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
cool09, Discombobulated, LonesomeTonight