Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,676 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 11, 2023 at 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
We owe no matter how we fill out our forms. But the amount varies. We also had it “married filed jointly” in 2021 and we owed 7k. Ugh. My husband was about to pass out. This year it’s just 2k. The way to deal with it if you don’t have money up front is: get into payment plan with IRS or charge it and deal with it later.

Didn’t you do taxes together? So it’s not “i” owe, it’s “we”.

Your husband and you have to split it. He pays half of this. It doesn’t matter whose income caused the debt. You were married so it has to be mutual debt. It’s not YOUR debt. He is on a hook for it too. No need to see him. Nothing to discuss

IRS payment could be split. He gives you check for whatever amount or transfers money to you for his half of debt or whatever he could afford and sends the rest later
He is now saying he will pay the whole 3K of taxes that are owed. I am very very tempted to allow this, at this stage. I mean, I did pay 8K for our wedding and honeymoon. Couldn't I view this as payback for our wedding? That's my thought right now.

~4 Non Blondes