View Single Post
blueparakeet78

Member Since Oct 2017
Default Apr 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaowen View Post
There is something called the difference between inner values and introjected values. Heard of it?

Interjected values are values passed on by parents, teachers and others. Some people pursue these "introjected" values but feel unhappy and empty inside. The reason is that these are values placed on them by others and not their true values.

I was raised with values like: work hard, be a winner, get the upper hand in relationships and dealing with others, be "macho", don't make mistakes, strive endlessly. Be suspicious of things like joy and peace of mind.
Yeah I have been aware of this for a long time, but it's so hard to separate them out from what is truly your own values. I think it's because society and relatives have ingrained these values in us since very young age and they almost become who we are as adults. We believe that is what we identify as. Its just so hard to figure out if something I value is actually my own or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavreel View Post
Believe it or not I am in the same boat. I keep changing my career path every week like a 7 year old child. I honestly don't know how people can just be so sure of what they want to do. Right now I'm reading a book on Business and Finance, tomorrow it will be something else. At this rate, I might as well open a flipping book shop because that's all my life is now... just books and trying to picture myself in a certain profession, I talk a lot but never act or is consistent on one thing. I have the passion but the drive to actually do it is another thing entirely, ill see someone else in a great profession and then I'll try find out about it and dabble with it for a while and get bored and move on. You couldn't make it up Lol
Wow you sound like me. I always start things too then drop it and never dive deep or continue, then move onto something else. I think it's ok to do this when you're young and are trying to find what you like. But as you get older I think there has to come a point where I wish something would stick.

I also talk a lot too but don't act. One day I was looking into a starting an online business and was so hyped up after watching some youtube videos about other peoples success. I was like man just wait until everyone sees me driving my brand new car I'll be able to afford etc. I researched it for a while, what I had to do, then as the days passed, all that was left were the sound of crickets, and nothing came of anything lol
blueparakeet78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote