Thread: Shame Spiral
View Single Post
Orange Cat
Newly Joined

Member Since Apr 2023
Default Apr 21, 2023 at 09:31 PM

Hi Friends ,
Does anyone have any tips for how to stop a shame spiral/ intrusive thought attack?

I made a mistake this morning, ( commented while triggered, was harsher than I intended. When the other party took too long to respond or acknowledge I reread what I wrote,was horrified and immediately deleted it) I've been spiraling ever since! I've tried feeling the feelings, meditation, talking to a trusted honest friend who was reassuring, all to no avail!

I feel so embarrassed by my mistake and am worried I've done major damage to my relationship with the person and others who saw it. I'm scared they think I'm a total jerk now. I feel like I lost control over who I am. I feel like I can't be trusted with social media, especially if I can be this easily triggered.

For more context, this person went to the page of a local public person ,where people were piling on said person, (undeserved,, public person is the human equivalentof a puppy)
My person said something dumb but not mean, just dumb and I scolded them and defended the other person. I should have just scrolled on by...arg!

Even writing this out,the whole thing seems silly but I know, even with that rational, mind is still going to try to bring me down.

The person has said absolutely nothing to me about any of it, but I'm sure they saw it.
I'm trying to follow the idea of ignoring all sub context but my mind won't let me .

Does anyone have any other tips or ideas?
Orange Cat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, mote.of.soul, Yaowen