View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,407 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 22, 2023 at 11:48 PM

There certainly are women who get taken in by scams. That's why scammers like him do what they do. You trying to expose him is probably not the best use of your time. As you say, he can change his alias. If the FTC is accepting reports of experiences like this, then sending such a report is probably the most helpful thing you can do. Actually, I doubt the FTC will allocate manpower to launch an investigation, unless they can correlate your report with other similar reports.

Your priority is to protect yourself. I think you would be wise to never give your physical address out like that again. The whole experience is not really a waste of your time, if you learned from it. Hopefully, this guy won't show up on your doorstep. That seems not too likely, since he seems to have moved on, once you proved more than once that you were unwilling to comply with his directives.

There's been shows on TV exposing "romance scams." These scams can never be completely stamped out of existence. The main reason people get taken in is not because they are innocent and naive, IMHO. Some lonely people will believe a scammer because they are wanting what they are told to be true. People can be very complicit in their own victimization. Some folks actually adhere to the notion that, "I believe in accepting others at face value, until they give me a reason to distrust them." (I suspect that women are especially prone to that.) That's backwards thinking, IMO.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote