View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,414 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 23, 2023 at 11:28 PM

I hate group texts! I'm not real adept with the ins and outs of using digital devices. Recently I sent a text that I intended for one person, and it went to a group instead. Thank goodness the content was nothing that caused me embarrassment.

I don't think the person who sent you the invitation did anything egregiously bad. She possibly feared she might insult someone by under-inviting. You are perfectly free to decline. She would have zero right to take any offense whatsoever by your opting to miss this event.

I once got a similar invitation to a birthday party. It involved me renting a car and getting a hotel room. I only went because I very much wanted to go. The person throwing the party and the person being celebrated had both done huge favors for me in the past. I was pleased to be invited. I didn't feel the least bit obligated. I just wanted to rekindle our mutual connections. I had a good time.

Had I chosen not to go, I probably would have made some thin pretext of an excuse, like - "I just can't get away on that date, but thanks for thinking of me."

Generally, I don't like to give false excuses to people. My philosophy is that, if I'm telling a lie out of fear, then I'm letting myself be intimidated. Generally, I don't owe anyone an explanation for me doing what I choose to do. However, in the case of a situation like this, I opt for whatever just smoothes out my interaction with the inviting person. I wouldn't make up some big story about some previously planned engagement. That would be me letting myself feel pressured. I'ld just say, "Thanks, but I just can't make it."

One time I got mad at a friend who asked me to do something that would have been a real imposition on me. I gave her a big lecture on how she was asking for too much. When I finished, she responded, "All you had to say was - 'No.'" Well my friend taught me a good lesson. Now I don't get upset when someone makes an inconsiderate request. I just think: "Nice try, friend! Keep dreamin'." Then I might make the flimsiest of excuses, like: "I'ld love to help you out, but I'll be busy taking a nap at that hour." That's my way of saying: "Kiss my behind." People who make outlandish requests often have no shame, so you're not upsetting anyone.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ArmorPlate108, unaluna, xRavenx