Founder & Your Host
Community Support Team
Chat Leader

Member Since May 2001
178 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 04, 2023 at 12:45 PM

Please read an article about this issue, as Betterhelp was not found "selling peoples therapy information to private companies."

What they were doing is what too many websites today do -- share your user data with other companies. Specifically, the FTC alleges they "used and revealed consumers’ email addresses, IP addresses, and health questionnaire information to Facebook, Snapchat, Criteo, and Pinterest for advertising purposes."

Most companies only share IP addresses with these kinds of third parties, because IP addresses are generally not considered PHI (protected/personal health information). The other things -- like health questionnaire information -- definitely is.

Betterhelp did not admit or deny the charges against it leveled by the FTC. They said they've "never shared information like “members’ names or clinical data from therapy sessions” with “advertisers, publishers, social media platforms, or any other similar third parties.”"

Learn more here:

BetterHelp shared customer data while promising it was private, says FTC - The Verge

Betterhelp is a very long-time sponsor of this online community. They help fund our ongoing monthly expenses to keep the community online. I know people who've tried the service -- some it's helped, others they didn't care for it. I would be comfortable using Betterhelp myself in the future, even despite this FTC order, because I believe they've helped make mental health services more accessible to more people than face-to-face therapy ever could. You need to judge the service for yourself, though, as it's not for others to tell you whether it's something appropriate or useful for you.

Thanks for this!
Nammu, SlumberKitty, WastingAsparagus