Thread: Betterhelp
View Single Post
Anonymous32448

Default May 04, 2023 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
Please read an article about this issue, as Betterhelp was not found "selling peoples therapy information to private companies."

What they were doing is what too many websites today do -- share your user data with other companies. Specifically, the FTC alleges they "used and revealed consumers’ email addresses, IP addresses, and health questionnaire information to Facebook, Snapchat, Criteo, and Pinterest for advertising purposes."

Most companies only share IP addresses with these kinds of third parties, because IP addresses are generally not considered PHI (protected/personal health information). The other things -- like health questionnaire information -- definitely is.

Betterhelp did not admit or deny the charges against it leveled by the FTC. They said they've "never shared information like “members’ names or clinical data from therapy sessions” with “advertisers, publishers, social media platforms, or any other similar third parties.”"

Learn more here:

BetterHelp shared customer data while promising it was private, says FTC - The Verge

Betterhelp is a very long-time sponsor of this online community. They help fund our ongoing monthly expenses to keep the community online. I know people who've tried the service -- some it's helped, others they didn't care for it. I would be comfortable using Betterhelp myself in the future, even despite this FTC order, because I believe they've helped make mental health services more accessible to more people than face-to-face therapy ever could. You need to judge the service for yourself, though, as it's not for others to tell you whether it's something appropriate or useful for you.
if I'm understanding what I read in the link I just posted before seeing your post, it literally says in that link they sold health information, which i taken to mean "this person got disagnosed with X and this one got disagnosed with Y" etc, I do agree with the petition though that even online companies shouldn't be allowed to sell the information of "XYZ person has ABC as a disagnosis" i', sorry if I understood what it said in the links I posted wrong, i'm just saying that's how i understood it and i'm probably wrong

but if a real life company legally can't do something, it should be the same for online companies as well in my opinion

the link i just posted literally says they paid whatever number that is in a settlement 78 million or whatever it said cause i can't do big numbers ?

i just find it alarming that companies are allowed to sell health information

to use a physical example it would be like a company selling the information of "this person who uses our services has a disagnosis of cancers in their bones" (just a example)

all i'm saying is i find it alarming

Last edited by Anonymous32448; May 04, 2023 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: big numbers mess my braincell up

Thanks for this!
nonightowl