View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2023 at 06:29 PM

I was just having a conversation with my therapist today about the progress I've made since I started seeing my therapist. We both agreed that I've increased considerably coping skills, security of attachment (in general with people), and some other things. And I'm working on improving some areas of my health now (increased exercise, reducing drinking) and doing better than I think either of us expected.

I think so much of it depends on fit with the therapist. And finding one who does tailor their approach to you (even if it's not necessarily their normal method of working with clients). Things like CBT haven't really worked for me, for example, and I learned to just tell therapists that from the start. As Artley mentioned, consistency is important, too.

But it's also important knowing that changes can take time and aren't generally linear (and having a therapist who understands that as well). Change can be very gradual and involve some steps forward, then some back before moving forward again.

For jesyka: Have you tried anything different from typical talk therapy or medication, aside from hypnotherapy? I considered changing therapists a few months ago (decided not to) and looked into somatic therapy, which includes EMDR, and also guided imagery. There's also TMS (brain stimulation), which has helped my mother-in-law. Or ketamine therapy, which helped one of my friends. Just something to consider.

Another option could be to see an integrative doctor, who could check into things like vitamin/mineral deficiencies and other root causes for psychiatric symptoms with more natural treatments (like, maybe your body doesn't absorb vitamin B12 from food well, so you could benefit from B12 injections). Or, even thinking of regular medical doctors, have you had things like thyroid levels tested recently? As that can affect mental health.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
NP_Complete