View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2023 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBoots View Post
I had psychosis before any medication or doing any drugs, but while I was in the hospital they raised one of my medications to the maximum dose (Risperidone), and I had an unusual reaction of delirium. I kept thinking I was in different places: thought I was lost in the woods in Maine, on a boat, in a hospital with wayyyy more hallways than the one I was in (and was lost), thought I accidentally broke into an apartment in Lowell, MA and was going to get shot. I thought it was raining cocaine. I thought they kept switching the rooms around to confuse me. At one point, I felt so lost that I just stood in one place in the hallway for like an hour crying and anytime anyone asked me what was wrong I would just say "I'm lost."

I was told this was such an unusual reaction they had to report it to the FDA.

You have good providers. It is evident in their ability to notice the adverse reaction and report it.

Delirium is very different from psychosis in my experience. The three different experiences I had with it differed greatly than the psychosis I experienced 5 years later. The visual hallucinations were very detailed along with the auditory variety. I also had physical symptoms such as dilated pupils, tremor, confusion, and irregular labs mostly anion gap, electrolytes, Urea, AST and ALT.

I remember being unable to get off the floor and panicking, because I thought someone was breaking into my apartment. I was able to "see" the midget. This was very different from psychosis.

Hallucinations are common. Even people without mental illness experience them. I often wonder how many people get diagnosed with major psychiatric disorders for having hallucinations without delusions and thought disorder.

I wonder how much of this over-diagnosing is related to prescription medications and our expectations as patients for the provider to write a script. Could a person be experiencing a mild delirium caused by one of their medications?

Hugs from:
avlady, Sometimes psychotic