Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2019
11.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 06, 2023 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
Thanks, I've done this. Her mother is also clearly on the spectrum and we've talked about that. We've also discussed autism more generally a number of times.

My hope has been that she picks up on some of the subtext, and has something of a realization, but that doesn't seem to be happening. And I'm basically of the opinion that her self-concept will be better if she makes the discovery herself, rather than me bringing it up with her directly.

It's been challenging as there seems to be a bit of a communication break-down between us. Her behavior over the past few years has pushed me into functional depression, but the only way forward seems to be to set the whole issue aside, as I'm not seeing a way to communicate this with her.

And all she sees is my increasing de-motivation, and likely interprets it as me not caring about her. I'm really trying to care, but it's hard to stay motivated when it's not really reciprocated.

Anyway - maybe there isn't a 'solution' so to speak. But it's nice to at least express these thoughts.
That’s good you’ve been talking indirectly about autism and in the context of her mother too. I’d say sometimes it’s a series of many different conversations that can lead to a better awareness eventually. In any case keeping talking about anything if you’re having communication problems sounds like a good thing.

I’m really sorry you’re coping with functional depression right now and that must be impacting on your energy levels and motivation too.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote