View Single Post
ScarletPimpernel
Wise Elder

Member Since Nov 2013
6,477 hugs
given
Default May 11, 2023 at 04:55 PM

I felt relieved when I got my diagnosis. For years they thought I had it, but would tell me I'm faking it if I didn't have certain types of trauma. When I turned 30 and had a new pdoc and a new T, I asked them both to diagnosis me. To my relief, they both came up with 3 similar diagnoses. I finally felt like it wasn't all in my head, that I wasn't faking it, and that there was a reason for all my symptoms. AND it was scary because I also didn't want the diagnosis because it's so stigmatized. Thankfully, most the professionals I've had don't judge me (though I have had a few who did). Now I have a good team: my new pdoc, T, and L. None of them judge me. In fact, they encourage my strengths from having the diagnosis. For example, I tend to feel things more deeply and am more sensitive. With that, I can actually empathize more and give more of myself to the people I do let in. Or I've become a much more honest person because of the trauma I went through.

It's different for everyone when receiving a diagnosis. But as L tells me, a diagnosis doesn't define you, it's not a part of your core-self. It's just a label to help professionals treat you and anonymously identify you when consulting. Even then, some use other ways of consulting about your case. Like L calls me "email client" to some...lol. Or T uses my initials.

Just remember that you are NOT your diagnosis. You HAVE a diagnosis, but it's not you.

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
AnaWhitney, LonesomeTonight, Yaowen