View Single Post
TheEbonyEwe

Member Since Dec 2013
152 hugs
given
Default May 21, 2023 at 06:26 PM

I can relate to this (and sorry for the late reply.) I was actually diagnosed with autism while still in the USAF before I retired at 42. After that, I've had 3 VA centers in Idaho, Arizona and KY tell me they have no support programs for adults with spectrum disorder conditions. Seems like the only people they're interested in paying attention to is combat vets with PTSD and anything outside of that is pretty much, "good luck, but F off" kind of mentality. I'm yet to find any program, in/off network with Tricare that offers any kind of therapy. It's ridiculous the lack of support there is for veterans let alone anyone with this diagnosis. They tried to put me on antipsychotics too which tells you how useless and uninformed they are. Nothing ever helped. Sorry they wasted your time. I hope you find some answers or something that helps. I found a lot of info in reading self-help books. Just steer clear of anything that suggests you can be cured. Autism/Aspergers is not a disorder or a disease. It's just a different way of thinking. Yes, there's better ways to cope, socially and reading about it can help that, but some of these dumb sites like autismspeaks.com which tell you that you can be cured with therapy are crap. The only thing they want you to do is learn to mask and rehearse better instead of spreading awareness and acceptance.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents and opinion and we all know about opinions. lol Good luck, fellow veteran.
TheEbonyEwe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
dwfieldjr