View Single Post
BillyTBum

BillyTBum has no updates.

8 hugs
given
Default May 23, 2023 at 09:17 PM

Honestly, just getting a well thought-out and kind response was a lot more helpful than you want to give yourself credit for. Just knowing you're not alone goes a long way for things like this.

You're also not far off-base talking about perfectionism, either. I grew up playing video games as a kid, and as an adult have discovered that I have the ability to hack the games I loved as a kid to fix problems with them and make them better... something I consider myself to be pretty good at, but only because I obsess over every detail to the point I'll stress myself out.

A large contributor to my anxieties is the inability to take a step back from work and do something else. It tends to create that "trapped" feeling because no matter how hard I try to take a break, my mind won't let me and will keep focusing on the problem at hand. And if the problem is something I've been stuck on for awhile... well, you see where that goes.

So far as coping skills go, my biggest ones are talking to someone and playing games. The former helps force me to regulate my breathing while the latter engages my mind and provides a distraction. The crisis counselor I talked to had walked me through grounding, which ended up being very helpful but I found that I have a difficult time doing it on my own without someone walking me through it. Actually speaking to another person is a pretty critical factor, it seems.

The cold water on the face, though, is something I'd heard of before but had forgotten all about and have never tried. I need to put that one in my toolkit.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and kind words <3
BillyTBum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ArmorPlate108

Thanks for this!
Yaowen