View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default May 23, 2023 at 11:57 PM

I had my records reviewed by a psychiatrist. Later this week a pharmacist is going to review them to see if she can determine what medications caused my illness.

The psychiatrist gave me a summary of her impression that made a lot of sense. We talked for over an hour today. When I told my mother she wasn't surprised. She always believed what made me ill in spring 1996 was the prescription medications.

The psychiatrist noticed anticholinergic side effects and was surprised that they were overlooked by her specialty. There was a cognitive test (The mini mental state exam) in the records that I scored 17/30 on. She was appalled that this was ignored and explained this was hard to fake. She pointed out the nursing notes along with the ER report that I was displaying an "organic" illness.

(This is when I required hospital admission, a 1:1 patient sitter and the discontinuation of all my medications.)

Psychiatry refused to believe the ER doctor who diagnosed me with "probably OD" on some unknown substance. Patient appears to have anticholinergic syndrome.

There are so many comments about my dilated pupils, drowsiness, tremors and incoherence in my records. How could they miss this? The abnormal ECGs, and labs?

Lesson: Misdiagnosis, bias and polypharmacy are a very bad mix.

If the diagnosis doesn't make sense, question it!!!!

It was vindicating. It took 27 years to find out the truth.

Thanks for this!
Angelique67