View Single Post
TheEbonyEwe

Member Since Dec 2013
152 hugs
given
Default May 24, 2023 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueowl View Post
Interestingly, my doctor said I was not in perimenopause and she also did not mention birth control whatsoever. She was just like... well... let your body get adjusted. FWIW, my OB/GYN is a woman and older than me, so she's probably been through it herself.

Going from clockwork cycles to guessing cycles is not the greatest of experiences. Blood work has been done, ultrasounds have been done (periodically, as follow-ups)... there does not seem to be anything there that points to an obvious issue.
Your OB/GYN sounds like a pill!

I'm 52 and haven't had a period since December.

I think I"m in menopause now. The last 5 years, my periods were like what you described. Sometimes light, and sometimes like the elevator door scene in The Shining!
Menopause can start as early as your thirties, rarely, but possible. Perimenopause can definitely start in your forties like mine did and linger on forever. There's no test to indicate that you're peri-menopausal.

The thing about hormonal test results is your estrogen and progesterone fluctuate all through the month and it's not an accurate way to test for menopause. The day they took your test, you could have been high and it 'looked' normal. It's one possibility of many.

We have a problem with doctors in the US in that most of them could careless about treating menopause symptoms and want us to just tough it out. My VA doctor was like that. She was the same way, just toughing out the hot flashes. The thing is, HRT is getting better and better and more safer but a lot of them are still stuck in that old believe that it causes cancer and heart issues when the new stuff does not!

I would call around and get a second opinion but ask if the doctor you're seeing is PRO-HRT first so you don't waste your time. My second, non-VA PCM is pro-HRT and was happy to prescribe me the HRT patch for my hot-flashes. They're out there, you just have to find one that's dismissive about it.
TheEbonyEwe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Blueowl, Discombobulated, giddykitty