View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 26, 2023 at 07:10 AM

Sat and listened to my husband this morning and he is very fatigued. As I mentioned he has been sober for about 32 years now and still attends AA meetings and supports others who commit to living a sober life.

The sad fact is that there are those who fail and sadly drink/drug themselves to death. A good friend of my husbands together with my husband tried to help the friend’s son get sober and sadly he drank himself to death at age 55 leaving a wife and two children.

Some people lie to themselves and decide they will just cut back. However, given how the body needs more to get that desired high and how alcohol affects the nervous system, they begin to consume more. Keep in mind that consuming alcohol creates anxiety as it withdraws. So the person begins to struggle more with anxiety and sleep problems. They don’t realize how all the alcohol they consumed one night with friends etc created these problems over the next few days.

There are times where it is just too unhealthy for your own mental health to stay with someone who continues to embrace their alcohol use or drug use disorder. These individuals want to continue to lie to themselves and often want to continue drinking in bars and hanging out with other drinkers and embracing the DRAMA that goes along with that lifestyle.

It’s OK to walk away and take care of your own mental health.

It is emotionally exhausting to live your life around their changing mood cycles due to the ebb and flow of their cycle of using alcohol or drugs. One minute they are nice and then they are short tempered and mean. It truly is living with a Dr. Jeckle and Mr Hyde personality.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Bill3