View Single Post
Brentus
Veteran Member

Member Since Apr 2021
962 hugs
given
Default May 28, 2023 at 09:32 AM

I had a pretty traumatic childhood and adolescent years. We all know that there is a correlation between trauma and mental illness, but it's important to note that isn't always the case! However, in my case, I think it really did exacerbate the symptoms-- making the highs being misjudged as just "not being in a traumatic moment" and the lows being just the grind of a chaotic life. It took me a long time to even recognize I swung up an down. I remember a friend once saying to me "You're emotions are like a rollercoaster -- it's like a switch flips". Granted I have other illnesses beyond Bipolar, but the staples symptoms are there, and were prominent to people around me even if I didn't see it. I started getting help through meds and therapy at the age of 23, and I am now 32. Over the course of my illness learning all I could about it, and applying it to myself-- knowing my triggers, my go-to helps , formulating a support team etc. became a saving grace on more than one occasion. I guess technically I could qualify for Bipolar I because I can think of a time where I was clearly manic (while not psychotic, which isn't a requirement) and it only takes one manic episode to qualify-- but on paper I am Bipolar II.

So the beginning the research and understanding began, in my mid 20s I relied a lot on coping skills, especially watching my wallet and knowing my tendency to act reckless with both money and my body. Now? My biggest change in using routine to solidify a baseline that is consistent.

Hugs from:
Aurelius710, JaneOnceMore, Rosi700, Soupe du jour