View Single Post
Brentus
Veteran Member

Member Since Apr 2021
962 hugs
given
Default May 28, 2023 at 09:56 AM

Over the years being here (I've had different accounts), I've seen a lot of really talented and unique people pass through. I remember a thread once addressing this topic and there are some studies correlating high creativity among those who suffer with bipolar. So, keeping with that idea here are my questions

1) Do you consider yourself creative? What sorts of things do you like do?

2) Do you feel meds stifle your creativity? Do you feel it's hard to be creative when you're not "up" or possibly even down?

3) This is more of a challenge than a question but, If you could only express yourself through one facet to the world ( be it an activity, or your style of dress, association to a club or an association, a cause etc), what would it be? In what way are you MOST creative?

I guess I'll answer my own questions

1) No. I don't consider myself creative, however I've been told it's a unique love I have and a special relationship with learning new things. I love learning in general. It lead me to become a teacher. I love languages, and my interests are academic in general. While not "creative" in the sense that I usually think of creativity -- I express myself through my learning. In that way I produce unique and sometimes insightful ways to learn or about the topic at hand.

2) As far as meds go? I don't feel the stifle me. I feel depressive episodes stifle everything in me. I'm thankful for a cocktail that while doesn't let me feel those high highs, I don't have many low lows anymore. Even if it isn't a perfect fit.

3) If I could only show the world my creativity in one way, I think I already mentioned it -- through my contributions to learning. Being a teacher (of any sort-- not necessarily having my masters degree in Education, but more of instilling in others skills, giving anecdotes, thought provoking or insightful things.) That's the core of who I am. I am happiest when I have a textbook to read and I can apply the knowledge to something I care about. I did (and still am) doing a lot of reading in psychopharmacology -- a twofer: I get to understand how my medicines work better AND I get the pleasure of learning. -- If we don't accept that, I love music. I'd choose an expression of who I am through my choices in music.

I look forward to reading your answers!

Hugs from:
Aurelius710, giddykitty, Rosi700, Soupe du jour

Thanks for this!
Aurelius710, giddykitty, Rosi700, Soupe du jour