Random 503

Member Since Feb 2022
46 hugs
given
Default Jun 02, 2023 at 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentus View Post
My questions:
1) How comfortable are you expressing to others about your mental illness? Do you only do it as necessary? When do you deem it necessary? For example, when it's a significant other or a close friend?

2) Do you have a solid support system in place? (includes anything such as psychiatrist, therapist, close friends, family members, perhaps religious figures etc.)

3) In terms of work accommodations, have you ever had to request them? If so, how honest, or upfront, where you about it ? Did you share everything they may need to know or just the pertinent details for that moment? If you have never had to ask for an accommodation or at least divulge some aspect to maintain/improve your work -- would you?
1. Very few people get to know this. I don’t really have close friends so it’s not really an issue. I would only divulge if necessary, which it has been in the past. I tend to keep people at arms length. I did recently tell my fishing partner because I think he noticed some erratic behavior between med changes and in general and I have alarms on my phone to tell me to take meds. I don’t think normal people do that, I may be wrong.

2. Pdoc, therapist and wife. Is that enough? I don’t know.

3. No, I would never and for a very specific reason. My last manic episode was very public. Once I was stable I realized I was probably going to get fired so I disclosed and apologized for my behavior. I was barely stable even at this point. I got the feeling it did little to help, so I went home, updated my cv and started looking for a new job. Found one 3 months later and moved us halfway across the continent. I don’t think people understand. I’m completely harmless to everyone but myself but I still feel like people would walk on eggshells and I don’t want to be treated differently.
Random 503 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Aurelius710, bizi, Brentus, giddykitty, Nammu, Soupe du jour

Thanks for this!
Brentus, Soupe du jour