Thread: New Life
View Single Post
SushiNCorn

Member Since Sep 2022
30 hugs
given
Default Jun 02, 2023 at 03:52 PM

Hi All,

So I am back again, to share a little bit of my life ATM.
My boyfriend (yes, I have not called it quits yet) has a mother who is schizophrenic. Sometimes I wonder if his insecurity, him being possessive is stemming from some sort of genetics. He is only about 37 years old. I don't think age has a role to play in this but I know his mother was diagnosed with this pretty late in her life (she is about 70 now). He lives with his mother full time because he does not want to abandon her in this state and he wants to take care of her. And I greatly respect him for that. It is not an easy thing to do at this age, to take care of a parent who is paranoid at all times. But I am sure it has its own effects on him, dealing with something so difficult.
In the end, I do really love him and I am finding it difficult to give up on this.
At the same time, I also feel I have a little bit of a separation anxiety (probably stemming from my divorce, that came as a complete shock to me). I know this is common among kids of divorce and things like that. I don't know if it's common among older people like me (37 years) after their own divorce. So could use some advice on this aspect.
I don't know. A lot of things to think about and analyze.

To anyone reading, this might sound like a relationship destined for a disaster (given that both are probably fighting their own demons). But for me, what I have only spoken about so far is the tough part. So I thought it is only fair that I also talk about the good parts so that anyone who can give advice considers both aspects. He is a very loving, caring person. I have never been with someone (romantically) who shows so much of concern towards me in 37 years of my life. I know he genuinely loves me and cares about me. And he is not shy to show that love in front of anyone, be it his friends; my friends etc. So sometimes I think I am overthinking things. Yes, we both have had our difficult journeys that have left some scars on each but I feel like we can fight these demons together.

I know we both love each other enough to stand by the other person's side through tough times. I can also be a bit egoistic sometimes. But I have also come to realize that it doesn't help anyone (and definitely not myself). Should I be more open and understanding to what he sometimes feels?

Please do let me know your thoughts. I definitely can't talk about this with my family or friends, because they care about me too much and I do not want to worry them

Love, as always;
Sushi
SushiNCorn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote