View Single Post
Anonymous48010

Default Jun 04, 2023 at 05:56 PM

As an individual diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and with family members who share the same diagnosis, that autism is not something to be "succeeded" or conquered. Instead, it is a unique aspect of an individual's identity that should be embraced and understood.

In navigating this complex world, I have discovered challenges that far surpass my perceived difficulties. It was interesting finding out about any number of one of my many ‘conditions’ however it was far less of an issue before that process become a thing.

If I were to overcome anything of significance, it would be to disidentify with my prescribed labels that do more to limit myself as well as others like me. I understand and appreciate the support my children and grandchildren receive. However, I am acutely aware of the detrimental effects that labeling and categorization can have on individuals in a compartmentalized world.

The notion of achievement is frequently depicted in binary terms, but my viewpoint diverges significantly. I have faced criticism for being excessively intricate and amplifying trivial matters. Interestingly, these critiques tend to arise when I express my truth in a manner that challenges others' beliefs. It is in these moments that the predefined boundaries we have been placed within lose their comforting nature and instead become constrictive.

This insight might not be easy to grasp, but I still want to share it with you as a way to spark personal growth and fulfillment. It relates to individuals who are often misunderstood because of their unique perspectives, which can lead to them being marginalized. Furthermore, we live in an era where we find ourselves amidst industrialized mental health services that do more to depersonalize individuals through excessive labeling and the overutilization of services.

These dynamics create significant challenges in defining our own identities and selecting a path that aligns with our authentic selves. The existence of these challenges sheds light on my observations when considering the concept of success. It is not so much the label itself that needs to be overcome, but rather the societal pressures and expectations that seek to define and control us. Otherwise said, It’s less the label that is in need of overcoming, but more the world that seeks to prescribe and service us.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, SquarePegGuy