View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 06, 2023 at 11:34 AM

@KublaKhan I am like you. Empathy/sympathy at the APPROPRIATE time but not constantly with someone who continually whines about their situation & does nothing to change it.

I was stuck in depression/anxiety/ sui attempts & anorexia for 13 years. I wished that therapy would have helped ME solve the whole situational issue instead just throwing empathy & drugs at me.

By the end of those 13 years I kinda figured it out on my own & I took the action necessary while I was being blamed for being wrong. Lol....joke was on all of them because I left them all, moved across the country, found quality therapy & quality people to surround myself with & life totally changed & I healed & empathy was NOT what I needed.....it was solution for the problem & defining the REAL PROBLEM.

From my personal experience I see that too many T's & clients don't want to do the WORK. Empathy is easier to desire & easier for others to throw at the situation because it doesn't require a solution.

I was an aerospace computer design engineer & if we all had just done a "gee we have a problem with the program I'm really sorry" that military jet using our program would have crashed into the ocean. Solutions are NECESSARY no matter how much work they take.

I have seen way too often in my 70 years of life that empathy (outside of appropriate situations) does become enabling & actually harmful with a negative effect on healing.

I have to say for me, while right in the middle of the situation causing my mental health problems I sure could have used someone with an analytical mind helping me.....but then there is the risk of them putting thoughts into your mind & them not actually being yours. But it is difficult seeing the forest for the trees when lost in the middle of the forest & that is what most need help achieving rather than a "gee I am really sorry you are lost"

Lol....my 2 cents for the day

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote