View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,459 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 06, 2023 at 09:47 PM

Akathisia is an awful thing to experience. It's a sensation of restlessness that won't let you sit or lie down for long. Some people call it Restless Leg Syndrome. In bed, you toss and turn and can't find a position to relax in. You can't sit still in even the most comfortable recliner chair. You can't sit and watch TV. You want to keep moving, but you can't enjoy going for a walk. Nothing feels satisfying, but you desperately want to find some way to feel okay. I think it's awful.

I seem prone to it. When my dose of amitriptyline was boosted up by a lot without doing so gradually, I got this syndrome. I also got it when I was taking Librium (a benzo) and stopped taking that med suddenly. I also got it twice from cold medication that I took too much of. I also got it from being anemic. I live in fear of getting it because it can feel intolerable . . . like I'ld do anything to escape it.

Has anyone out there experienced this? Doctors know that people on psych meds can get it from two possible causes. One is from suddenly stopping some psych meds. Another is from rapidly increasing certain psych meds. Has anyone been treated for akathisia or Restless Leg Syndrome.

I think I've heard that cogentin is a med given for something like this. I'm wondering if there are any good antidotes to akathisia.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated