Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 16, 2023 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDarkroom View Post
This is the only part I have pause with. Ts should never apologize for going on vacation. They really deserve that time off. (I don’t think they should answer emails while away either.) If a client can’t handle their T going away for a couple of weeks a year, they might need to look into a higher level of care until they can handle it. (A T going away for much longer and more often is a different story altogether which is what prompted my revival of this older thread….because that’s just not good for helping a client to feel safe and secure in the relationship.)

To clarify, I didn't mean that they should apologize for going on vacation. More to say "I'm sorry this is hard for you." I realize this was unclear the way I wrote it!

I agree that they deserve time off and actually need it to be a good therapist--part of the self-care. Whenever I talk about my T going on vacation (like if it's one coming up), I often end up crying, and I tell him that I feel bad for the crying because I know he deserves the vacation. And he said he knows that, how I always make it very clear.

And I do try to avoid emailing him--generally it's just something near the end of the vacation like "You still exist, right?" that would not require much of a reply. (I try to avoid those now, too, and feel less of a need for them.)
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote