View Single Post
McNuggets

Member Since Jun 2023
1 hugs
given
Default Jun 16, 2023 at 07:46 AM

I would strongly recommend the book "So good they canīt ignore you" by Cal Newport. He makes the case that the whole idea of "finding" your passion is actually a misunderstanding of how passion works, and that passion is actually something that is built over time. He claims that the idea of there being some job out there that matches your pre-existing passion, waiting to be discovered, more often than not keeps people stuck in a vicious cycle of job switching, because thatīs simply not how it works.

Instead, according to Newport, there is likely multiple paths that could turn into a passion for any given individual. Itīs all about finding something that matches your personality trait structure, that you find meaningful, and actually sticking to it long enough to get good at it. When you stick to it you start building competence and connections within the field, which fosters intrinsic motivation (drawing on ideas from the highly validated self determination theory in psychology), and along with it you also build career capital. Career capital, in turn, will grant you ever increasing degrees of freedom in how you structure your work, which creates a sense of autonomy, further fostering intrinsic motivation (not to mention the fact that the details of what your work day looks like is likely as important to work satisfaction as the nature of the work itself).

Thanks for this!
WovenGalaxy