Member Since May 2014
2,317 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 21, 2023 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlady View Post
Thanks CanDc.

Just checked the status. Current prediction is for it to fizzle out over the weekend.

I wish I could find it in myself to relax about possible storms, but can't seem to. Life is likely to be an emotional roller coaster until November.

TS Brett did inspire me to do more research on generators. Read enough stuff this afternoon to make my head spin. Am letting it all settle.

I hear you about water. My well water is nasty -iron and sulfer so I buy bottled water to drink. This time of year I buy more than usual. I also fill everything I can with water for the animals, flushing toilet, etc. I found a bag on Amazon you fill with wafter then lay in the sun to heat the water. It comes with an attached shower head so you can use it to shower. Going to order a couple. I really missed being able to shower after Ian.

I also stock up on non-perishables this time of year - tuna, canned chicken, canned soup, jerky, crackers, etc. I know what practical things I need to do and do them. It's the emotional stuff that gets to me.
@lizardlady
I am still working on lowering anxiety. Some of it is in my body so Adrienne yoga and 5 minute Tai Chi on youtube help my body feel better.

A friend has PRN anti anxiety meds that help on a temporary basis if they have extreme anxiety.

When you pick a generator, there are some less expensive ones you have to start and run on gasoline. Be sure to not use inside as this can cause cabon mononxie poisoning.

The ones that run on propane go for a long time without having to refuel. If you already use propane you may be able to use the tank you have but if new setup, a hundred pound tank may last 5-7 days. Bigger tanks last longer.

Another option is to have an auto switching generator that comes on automatically when the power goes out but this can be an expensive set up by an electrician. I f you do have a manual generator you have to shut off the electric main switch BEFORE starting the generator so if the power comes on it will not burn out the generator. ALSO you have to shut off the generator before turning on the power even if you are not sure it is on.

That is what I learned from my dad who was an electrician.

Keep us updated on how things are going. We are listening and wishing you the best outcome. @CANDC

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
eskielover, lizardlady