Bill3
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2009
24.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 18, 2023 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Recently, I had an issue with someone being transphobic towards me in private messages to my friends. (This is on another site) So I brought it to the staff, who promptly banned me on the idea that me telling them someone is transphobic is "slander".
Possibly another option for handling this situation might have been to specifically object to the comments, without labeling someone "transphobic".

Quote:
I just feel so terrible lately... I know I didn't do anything wrong, but it feels like everyone is mad at me for some reason or whatever and I can't do anything to make them see me any different....
I'm really sorry that you are feeling so bad.

If I could make a suggestion: In the three situations, your response was to apply a broad label to someone: "transphobic", "question character", "Nazi".

My suggestion is to avoid using broad labels. Instead, precisely target your responses to the specific situation at hand. For example: "These comments are hurtful to me", "Why do you support these policies?", "Your suggestion treats LGBTQ+ people unfairly".

If someone were to call you straightphobic/bad character/Nazi, how open would you be to calm, rational discussion with them?
Bill3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady