Yaowen
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2020
6,475 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 18, 2023 at 03:45 PM

I can see your point.

Reality is a million times richer than any map or model of it. And maps and models can be words, sentences, paragraphs, articles, books, photographs, videos, graphs and so on. All of these are "simplifications" of things of enormous depth and complexity.

Although we share common characteristics, we are all different from each other. The nitrogen, carbon, oxygen atoms that make up who I am are different than the ones that are in you.

The combination of when, where and how I was born is different than everyone else. All the things my parents said and did to me are different than all the things your parents said and did to you.

Your genetic inheritance is not identical with mine. No one has experienced the exact same life experiences with the exact same brain as you have.

We map reality to survive. I can't put a real tree inside the confines of my brain. I can put things I have seen and experienced and imagined about a particular tree into my memory. Am I a botanist looking at a tree? Am I Picasso looking at a tree or Monet or a Chinese artist who lived 1000 years ago. Am I looking at a tree as someone who has been paid to prune it or cut it down. Am I child looking at a tree. And so on.

Leaving aside photography and videography, what if I could memorize the words of every book on trees ever written and stored in libraries. That knowledge as valuable as it might be is not a tree. It is a huge collection of map-like things. Do these maps sprout leaves or drip sap?

Thinking of human beings. In the order of magnitude, human beings are smaller than many things in the universe. But a human being is one of the most complex beings we know of, complex at so many different levels.

When a person reacts to you, are they reacting to the whole and total you, or some small fraction, some small map or model that they have formed of you?

And is not their model of you what is going around in their thinking and feelings? If we cannot even know ourselves completely, how little do others really know us.

When someone accepts or rejects us are they really accepting or rejecting us or are they reacting to the models they have of us in their minds?

Pour a liquid in a round container and it will be round. Pour a liquid in a square container and it will be square. Something similar happens in human interaction.

We see each other through a kind of lens. But that lens is partly formed and deformed by our needs, wants, prejudices, knowledge and ignorance and so on.

If I don't like apples does that say more about apples or more about me?

We are different and we are meant to be different. That is my own fallible opinion.
Yaowen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro, Discombobulated, Fuzzybear, mote.of.soul