Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,279 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 19, 2023 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmme View Post
I completely agree. I also feel like the Holocaust was not the only major genocide in the world. The people I was talking to had an attitude like, "Nothing is worse than the Holocaust". But there have been plenty of genocides that were just as bad, if not WORSE than the Holocaust.

And I completely agree too. When people are systematically targeted, it's the same tactics that the Nazi propaganda used. Every time.

Thanks for the reassurance.
I just feel so terrible lately... I know I didn't do anything wrong, but it feels like everyone is mad at me for some reason or whatever and I can't do anything to make them see me any different....
No Holocaust isn’t the only genocide in the world. Anyone who knows anything about history would know about other genocides.

Having said that, there’s no reason to argue with people what’s worse than what. There’s no need to tell people that Holocaust wasn’t the worst event-everyone has unique experience and perhaps you are telling it to people who lost everyone in their family in a gas chamber in a concentration camp or burned alive and buried in a mass grave with no trace.. There’s no need to compare events. For this particular person it might be the worst but you are potentially insulting them for no reason. You are triggering their pain by making declarations that have no value. Why?

How well do you know these people that you feel you could say these things to them? It’s like saying to descendants of slaves that slavery wasn’t the worst, there are worse events out there. Why would you compare and say such things?

No need to generalize or call people names like saying they are like Nazis

You said you can’t change anything. You can. Change how you talk to people.
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
felineangel, mote.of.soul, Samicat, TheGal