Community Support Team
Community Liaison
Chat Leader

Member Since May 2014
2,313 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 19, 2023 at 06:45 PM

Hi @crayon art welcome to MSF. I am sorry your step son is acting like someone that does not care about advancing themselves. They seemed to be trapped in a pattern of dependence on people and on drugs.

This may explain some of his behaviors. Some people who use marijuana (THC) for an extended period show signs of addictive behavior. The chemicals THC coat the receptors that normally are regulated by the body good feeling hormones produced naturally. This situation creates a feeling of needing to continue THC ingestion to get that feel good feeling. The problem is that until he hits bottom there is not much chance that he will seek help. Some people say that by continuing to support them, it only keeps them locked into this addiction.

The other problem is that ingesting THC for a long period has induced psychosis in people I know and they ended up in the hospital.

It is hard to say to a parent, just let them support themselves or if they choose not to go homeless if that is what they choose. Codependence is something to look up and investigate. It is when people support people in toxic habits and keep them just safe enough that they do not have to face the consequences of their actions.

I am only a peer support person telling you what I have seen in others. Have you or his mother considered enrolling in therapy? WIth a professional they can guide your thinking, help you set up safe boundaries and avoid supportinng indirectly the addictive behaviors your step son seems to be caught in. Don't take my word, seek other opinions from professionals or support groups like Nar-Anon Nar-Anon Family Groups

I have tried working with a friend to help them with mental illness. They had to be unable to cope before they would seek help. So I think getting help for yourselves may be the best next step.

Hope you get the support you are looking for. @CANDC

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Yaowen

Thanks for this!
FloatThruThis