View Single Post
Yaowen
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2020
6,475 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 26, 2023 at 05:19 PM

If someone is labeling you, I would call that into question. Seriously. Psychological labels are definitely open to question.

I personally dislike labels although I am often forced to use them.

They take a rich, deep, multidimensional reality and try to reduce it to a map.

Maps are okay but it is so easy to forget that the map is not the reality it portrays. It is an simplification, often a gross oversimplification of what is deep and complex. It impoverishes reality.

Consider the dictionary definitions of oversimplification: 1] simplification of something to such an extent that a distorted impression is given. 2] a description or explanation of something that is too simple and ignores some of the facts. 3] the action or product of describing or explaining something in such a simple way that it is no longer correct or true 4] the act of making something seem simpler than it really is . 6] a simplification that goes too far and to the point of misrepresentation.

Insurance companies like labels but the "summing up" of a human being made up of millions of things and events is an impoverishment of reality. Untrue and unfair and kind of an insult to reality itself.

Yes, sometimes we need a map but we should never mistake the map for the terrain. I think this goes back to the debate about whether a concept is a window through which one can look at reality or whether it is a box that one can stuff reality into.

Anyway, that is my own fallible opinion for whatever it is worth.
Yaowen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, felineangel, Fuzzybear