View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 31, 2023 at 03:40 PM

Being homeless is stressful and is in my opinion, a trauma, and I think after experiencing it, that it takes time to recover and regain equilibrium.

It also sounds like you have some medical stuff to sort out. I was unemployed for a long period and similarly had some health issues that needed to be dealt with before I could realistically go back to work. Can you make a plan for yourself to deal with your medical stuff first and then have a rough idea of looking for work afterwards.

I'm not sure how income supports work where you're at, but here I'm allowed to work part time while continuing to receive disability benefits, although there is some benefits clawback. Once I decided I was well enough to work, I took some pretty bad jobs at minimum wage that were strictly for the purpose of getting some current experience on my resume. Then I found a better part time job and I decided I'd stay at it for 2 years to get a stable, current job on my resume. I just passed the 2 year mark and it's been great, but now I'm starting to apply for jobs that offer more hours & a higher pay rate.

Think of it as stepping stones to get you to your ultimate goal, whatever that is.

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Bill3