Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,643 hugs
given
Default Aug 06, 2023 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
Time helps. But also reflecting on what happened and using experience as a lesson for the future knowing how to avoid it. It helps to not feel a victim.

Also I think it helps to remember that other people’s behaviors is a reflection on them, not you. Somebody said nasty things to you. If you internalize it, then it’s harder to get over. But if you remember that they are either nasty people or are too unwell to know better, then you don’t take it as personal. It’s not a reflection on who you are.

I’ve also read somewhere (I think on psychology site) that it’s perfectly normal to be completely devastated after break up. If you still feel that way a month or 6 months or a year later, it’s understandable. If you cannot let it go and are either devastated or depressed or miss them so much you can’t function longer than a year, then it’s alarming. At that point you might need some help to get over. Therapy or other ways.

I think it also helps to live more in reality and less in a fantasy. I think sometimes we feel devastation because we built up a fantasy of how great this person is and how great our relationship is going to be. Then it comes crushing. And it’s so hard to come out of it because it doesn’t match your fantasy. So less fantasy and more reality helps. Fantasy might be more exciting but it’s not real so it always ends in a big crush. It’s hard to come out of it.
This. Fantasy vs reality. I think that's what's eating at me the most. He built himself (and me) up to be this amazing person, then he turned out to be the complete opposite. It's the soul crushing disappointment and reality of his abuse.

It's been a few months since the divorce. I don't have faith in therapists too much anymore. I would have to find someone who is of super high quality. I am tired of mediocre therapists at best. Therapy has not been very effective for me over the years. It's always talk therapy, without any concrete direction, purpose, or resolution.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ArmorPlate108, lovethesun