divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,292 hugs
given
Default Aug 09, 2023 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Hope View Post
I am having to challenge and push back on the external digital agency regarding their work. I found some of their work to be mediocre, at best, and not up to my standards. I also found some of their work to be missing some key elements. I brought this to my boss's attention, and she says it is fine for me to send it back to the agency to redo the work.

I also am finding that the senior strategist at this agency, who is a male, is giving ME some pushback, as well as my more junior male colleague. I am senior to both of them, and have far more years of niche industry experience. I am really sick and tired of dealing with men in my field who cannot respect a woman who has more knowledge and experience than they do. I don't know what it is that I do wrong to not earn their respect and it bothers me.

I mentioned a strategy to my junior colleague that I want to implement. He challenged me by posing a concern regarding this strategy. I did not have the words in the moment, to support it, so a day later, I sent him a detailed email outlining the strategy more, supporting it with evidence and then telling him if he has any other concerns, to please let me know. I also said that I would bring this strategy to our boss for discussion, which I did, and she LOVES my idea. My idea can potentially drive significantly more traffic AND revenue to the website. My junior colleague never replied to my email.

So, I don't know what's really going on here. Do these two males have big egos? And they don't like having a female above them telling them what is what? Or, maybe I rub them the wrong way with my approach.

I have dealt with tons of male sexism in my industry over the years. In one company, I worked with an all male team, and was spoken down to by one of my male colleagues.

UGh. It can really suck being a female in the work environment sometimes. I have to learn a better way to communicate my ideas so that I am inclusive of my male colleagues and don't alienate them, while also showing that I know what I am talking about and gaining their respect.

It's hard.
It’s hard. Team work is hard no matter how you slice it.

I think maybe try to focus your mind on the quality of work and working as a team. Like keep that on the front of your mind: what’s better for the company and how to work as a team. I’d try to not let my mind go too deep into you being senior and superior in your experience and knowledge and them being juniors and less knowledgeable. Even if it’s absolutely the case, if you start focusing on it in your mind in first weeks of work it would add to your stress and will affect your attitude about these people.

I know easier said than done. In my next life I’ll be independently wealthy and will not need to work at all lol Spend our whole lives working like work horses. Isn’t it something.
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Have Hope