View Single Post
Tart Cherry Jam
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2021
1,202 hugs
given
Default Aug 19, 2023 at 10:18 PM

I used various edibles with THC for sleep, recommended by a doctor in California, legally. It helped me at that time. I later retried several times, each time with less and less success.

Note that I do not have the so called addictive personality and can stop any drug cold turkey without withdrawal. I stopped benzos in the past (I know most people need to taper down lest they have terrible withdrawal) and I stopped THC, several times in my life after I used it, without noticing it.

Now I use Seroquel for sleep. A couple of times I tried using THC again and now it is psychoactive for me (I had two "bad trips" even) and also the very last time it caused terrible somnolence the next day. It is just not worth even trying anymore.

I think Seroquel is a safer medication for sleep. And you only need a small dose.

I have never used THC to manage bipolar, just for sleep.

My psychiatrists were aware of that use.

According to my sleep psychologist (who is amazing; if anyone needs a telehealth sleep psychologist in California, PM me), there is research backing THC only for sleep. There is no backing for CBD. Maybe that is why when I tried CBD alone for sleep, there was no effect and I could not sleep. The sleep psychologist says that there is a lot of hype surrounding CBD but no hard data. She is a very data-driven person, a science nerd.

I also recently listened to a podcast where Andrew Huberman and Matt Walker talked and Matt Walker mentioned studies backing tart cherry juice for sleep. I instantly got interested (you can figure out from my name here that I love tart cherries ). I talked to the sleep psychologist about it and she did some research. Indeed there are some studies, although small, that had people use 1 cup of tart cherry juice one hour before bedtime. It improved sleep duration and depth, both. The studies were small, though. But I think it is for the most part a harmless remedy, except for the fact that you take in simple sugars, of course, so I started drinking tart cherry juice. I think it helps me and when I once forgot to drink it, I slept less well. It might be acting as a placebo, though. Still, to me, tart cherry juice is far tastier than marijuana edibles (although I did at some point find dark chocolate flavor that was OK). And it is safer. It is food, not a drug.

So for me now it is Seroquel plus tart cherry juice. Bye-bye, THC.

If you want to buy tart cherry juice, Trader Joe's imports it from Georgia. You will find it next to their bottled water section.
Tart Cherry Jam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Rose76