mar dhea
Magnate

Member Since Sep 2022
826 hugs
given
Default Aug 22, 2023 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskielover View Post
This is just a thought....maybe if someone is outgoing, expressive, very social and happy with the previous person & not with you. Maybe they are mirroring that person's personality. Maybe just being yourself instead or mirroring someone else may be a way to really have people interact with who you really are.

I have found in checkout lines at the grocery when the checkout person seems rather grumpy I always engage them in good conversation & they are usually smiling & much happier than when they first started checking my groceries.

We need to engage, not mirror people if we want a quality interaction
I do this too Eskie and find that engaging with even a few ordinary pleasantries more often than not can break the ice or crack open a stony silence. It's a good tactic to practise and gets one used to reading people better as well. Helps with esteem and confidence when you get a positive reaction.

Most times I find it works and it's a naturally empathic thing to do I think. A light joke, a compliment, an inquiry as to how their day is going...all that sort of stuff works and as one perseveres, the use of small talk to engage strangers naturally become easier. It's not always a cakewalk of course but def worth doing consistently. I hope that helps with the thread.
mar dhea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
eskielover

Thanks for this!
eskielover