Grand Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
367 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 29, 2023 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Hope View Post
My ex abusive husband used to tell me I was starting fights all the time, when it was HIM who was starting them. Projection, which is another emotional and verbal abuse tactic. My ex was similar to yours. He was allowed to say "ouch" in response to ME, but I wasn't allowed to say "ouch" in response to him. It made me insane... very maddening.

So, what is keeping you in this toxic marriage? I describe it as toxic because those behaviors you describe in him are highly toxic behaviors.
I don't believe the marriage itself is toxic, even though those behaviors certainly are. My physical and mental health has improved by leaps and bounds since we've been together. Where I was severely hurt by situations in past relationships, I know it doesn't sound like it, but in this marriage I've found a lot of healing. The behaviors, yes. The whole marriage, no.

Because as slowly as it happens, he does learn. Eventually we can talk it over. He and I were both feeling abused by the other when this conflict happened, and yes, I was being abusive to him also. Fortunately, we did get around to discussion and problem solving.

He cut me off because, as he saw it, I had already said it. I explained to him that while I had *started* to say it about four times, he hadn't allowed me to finish the sentence. If I don't think I was heard the first, second, or third time I say something, I am going to say it the fourth. I'd like for him to give me some indication that he heard me, and then repeating myself won't be necessary.

He left the room in the middle of my sentence because he felt like he was being verbally abused. Granted, a therapist did say that if our discussions get heated, we need to back off and pick it up later when we're calmer. That's what he was trying to do. I recommended that he wait until I finish my sentence, and then TELL me he's leaving the room. It's the same thing as when it happens on the phone. He doesn't like for me to just hang up on him in anger. He wants me to tell him I can't continue the discussion right now, and that I'm going to hang up. Whether hanging up or leaving the room, same principle. Works both ways.

I have discussed with him that just because I may be angry doesn't mean I'm mad *at him.* I just need to be allowed the vent.
Albatross2008 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote