View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
Default Sep 01, 2023 at 09:36 AM

Comment on yesterday: better left behind. I just couldn't settle in, made lots of mistakes, and had to deal with messes anonymous students leave as they move out. Stuff like blocking the sidewalk with furniture. Plus, in an effort to avoid mistakes I held up an email so I could review it later ... and there was no later and I forgot to send it!

OK, breathe.

Quote:
5. Learn the two key ways of reading: skimming for relevance and filleting for data. When you skim a document, your sole purpose should be to decide whether it contains anything worth reading. Let your gaze run down the page looking for key words and phrases. If you find any, put a small “x” in the margin and move on. Then glance over the number of “x” markings. Less than 5-6 means don’t mess with it further unless one of those is essential. Filleting is going back to the “x” marks and collecting the data you need. The best way is to make your own notes in a small book. Then toss the original.
Good reminder. I have many small books, but one main large spiral bound, college ruled notebook. One of the ways I "fillet" the data is by adding any quotes from books to goodreads or here on the quotes thread. I like the feeling of knowing where they are, that they are automatically tagged as my contribution, others can find them, and there's computer search to get back if I want.

Ah, reading, and other simple delights and pleasures are trimmed to their bones over the next several days. Yucky and I don't Like It!

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote