View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 02, 2023 at 07:38 AM

Thanks, I meant to say more in my post to you, I was interrupted while writing my post by a call from my older brother who is battling cancer. My brother had/has ADHD and unfortunately because this challenge was not understood instead of being helped he was punished by both adults and his piers. I grew up witnessing a lot of abuse and bullying and that left me being very sensitive when it comes to seeing any bullying or mistreatment of both children/adults/and well as animals.

Yes, unfortunately for a very long time there was little understanding of autism and Aspergers as well as ADHD and Dyslexia so children with these challenges did not get the help and support they deserved.

Some challenged turned to alcohol and other drugs to self medicate. My husband who has both ADHD and Dyslexia developed a problem with alcohol use disorder and I had to learn a lot about that as well. My husband has been sober for 32 years and devotes a lot of time to helping others learn to live a sober life without alcohol/drugs. I have seen how some with problems talk about special powers and talking to spirits etc. This tends to present with substance abuse disorders. I did not mean to imply that you followed this path but instead shared how individuals with Aspergers like Anthony Hopkins struggled with substance abuse disorder.

I think the mind develops ways to self sooth that may seem to feel like another supernatural presence taking over. Yet, this is simply a way the brain/mind takes many things we see and experience in watching all kinds of movies and written stories. So in essence we unknowingly learn ways to escape discomfort and stress. This has been evident throughout human history. This has at times led to persecution’s that were very dark and evil. So not all was of positive angels and uplifting spirits.

I think it’s important to recognize that animals imprint and look for the presence that will nurture and guide. We have learned that if there is no presence a human can step in and become a nurturing presence and an animal will respond, can next and bond and follow. We have learned how animals will even take on a parental role and nourish the offspring of other animals.

Given this drive for a nurturing presence outside self is so ingrained it’s not surprising there are so many different religions and beliefs along with susceptibility to follow blindly.

Last edited by Open Eyes; Sep 02, 2023 at 10:34 AM..
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote