View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,644 hugs
given
Default Sep 08, 2023 at 04:18 AM

So, I think I am in trouble at work in my new job?

I've had to send back work done by the external agency twice, both times with instructions, coaching and training on what I expect and am looking for from their work.

The second go around, they still missed the mark.

So, I called a meeting for three of us to talk about what I am looking for. Over messenger before this meeting, I had said that the quality of the work wasn't meeting my expectations, and asked whether a more senior team member could do this work, OR oversee it on their end, per my boss's suggestion.

Between that point and Thurs morning, something bubbled up to the head account manager at the agency about SEO, and the lead account manager now wants to speak to my boss about it and "nip it in the bud before it becomes an issue". We don't know what this conversation is about. My boss told me this yesterday. They are supposed to speak early next week. There was no urgency to talk about it, so the account manager scheduled for Mon/Tues.

So, apparently, there's a problem with our external agency, and I am a part of the problem.

Yes, I am being picky with their work. A far more junior team member from the agency has been handling this particular project, so, naturally, the level of work I expect is different than the level she produces. She needs coaching and guidance. I have provided coaching and guidance twice.

This is a dark cloud hanging over me now.

I am working very hard in my new job, trying to make a positive first impression all around. It's very difficult for me to receive work from the agency that is sub par. I will not approve or implement sub par work.

According to feedback I've received internally at NB, I HAVE made a positive impression. I am receiving very positive feedback from internal team members and higher ups. One long-time team member I am working with even confided in me the other day, so I felt she must trust me to confide in me. My boss's boss also gave me positive feedback yesterday, but did not mention this issue with the external agency.

Regardless, I now I am worried I have screwed something up, perhaps with my direct and honest approach or wording to the agency's team. I told my boss I was nervous I screwed up, and she said no, you haven't.

And now, this dark cloud is hanging over me until they have this conversation and I hear what the specific issue is that needs to be nipped in the bud.

My best girlfriend thinks that the agency is trying to deflect responsibility and make it seem like I am the problem, rather than the fact that a junior level team member is handling important work and the quality is not meeting my expectations.

I cannot with a good conscience approve or implement work that is sub par. And, I thought I had been clear during the first coaching session, but apparently not.

OY! This sucks. I woke up feeling really down about it - like oh great, here we go again. I'm having work issues and I am a part of the problem.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote