eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
Default Sep 09, 2023 at 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Cherry Jam View Post
That is exactly the point: if the manager goes as far as to check why the OP did not check in at a group chat on the phone after hours on an issue not related to work, she will cause self-selection into the current jobs of people for whom such culture works. It does not mean that this is an effective culture, it just means that other people do not survive it. OP is already starting to look elsewhere and she has only been on the job for a short time, AND, she is a good worker. So it is a loss for the manager, team, and company that the OP is going to leave. But the manager is blind to such losses and is misguided. I had been a manager and director for a number of years until this partial disability set in and I am very people-oriented, team-oriented, and well-respected by reports and colleagues and pretty much everyone, and I tend to talk about stuff not related to work, but even I realize that when a manager discounts efficiency and thinks that it essentially does not matter, she is not being professional. Even the language she used, about being "liked", is not professional. In the professional context, one talks about being "respected", "valued", etc., by the team members. It it not high school, it is a job. So the fact that people who have survived this and who probably prefer it (possibly because they cannot produce high quality work and be efficient but it is easy for them to chat in group chats) are OK with it is in no way an endorsement of this culture as positive.
Not endorsing the culture but it is what it is & it has been functioning for long enough this way that the company is satisfied, the group is producing or upper management would not allow it to continue. Someone new comes in who is just a worker like everyone else & demands to be catered to will cause division & then production will drop. Deciding to leave is the best option at times like this as OP is now looking for opportunities that fit her needs better

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Tart Cherry Jam