View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 19, 2023 at 03:34 AM

I was once also on three moodstabilizers, three antipsychotics, and two benzos, simultaneously. It was too much, and it was good that I was weaned off some. At least I can say that it turned out that as some were removed it showed them as less effective than I thought and/or side effects reduced or disappeared. One was a little more effective than thought, though that was also switched with general success. Eventually I was down to just two moodstabilizers and one antipsychotic, but over time. Not rapidly. Other additions/removals have since happened over the years.

I would strongly consider choosing just one benzo, as a start. I've never been on Valium. I generally like Ativan, but it's best as a prn for me. I did also take it for akathisia. It worked while adequately in my system, but when not, akathisia struck with a vegeance. Twice per day would have been better than once. Isn't Valium longer-lasting? If so, if you are fine with it side effect-wise, maybe that's better. However, I found long-lasting Klonopin less effective and made me tired during the day, unlike Ativan. Not sure how similar Klonopin and Valium are.

I never tried Vraylar, and know it's fairly new. If I knew it to be very effective and weight friendly I'd probably consider transitioning more to that and less of Zyprexa or Prolixin. Then eventually, maybe you wouldn't need the Topamax? Zyprexa was effective for my mania, but gave me akathisia and rapid weight gain. I never took Prolixin to guess which was less side effect friendly or efficacious. I am for any med that you can use as prn only or take some daily and some prn. My old psychiatrist used to use Seroquel that way, with good results.

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Sep 19, 2023 at 04:13 AM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
MuddyBoots