View Single Post
Elio

Member Since Sep 2006
8,780 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 19, 2023 at 09:21 AM

I was with my T for 8 yrs and am only starting with a new T because she had to close up her practice. I know prior to the pandemic, I was wondering what was going to get me unstuck. I knew I was stuck and had a good understanding as to why. I just couldn't seem to get myself to push through my walls. Then the pandemic hit and things completely stalled out in terms of therapy for me. Without the in person sessions, I wasn't able to do the type of therapy we had been doing. I know the protentional loss when she had to take medical leave was a wake up call and would have made a difference; however, we didn't ever get to come back to in person prior to her announcing the need to close her practice. That reality, helped me push through a few things. At the same time, it brought up tons of other stuff. It didn't help that naively so, T had talked about there always being time, so I gave my parts the space and time to move or not move as they so desired. The truth is, there isn't always time ... and sometimes you need to remember that - or at least, I could have used the reminder. I think for me a reminder would have had to be more like what happened than just a talk. I think I would have had to experience the potentially real loss of her to grasp what it would mean to not have her. I'm not sure if talking about it would have made the reality change my internal sense of urgency.

So possibly thinking about what it would be like if you no longer had time with your T or if you realized your time with your T was limited, what would you do differently?

Quote:
I read Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors and one of the things she talks about is impasse or seemingly unresolvable conflict in the therapy relationship. She describes how such stuckness can be an indication that the client is experiences internal conflict between different parts. Such conflict leads to a psychic paralysis which then shows itself (without resolution if no therapeutic intervention takes place) in the therapy relationship.
I think this sounds right. The questions are what intervention is needed for you, do you know, can you ask your T for it, is your T willing to provide it or help you with that intervention?
For me, I think I knew what I needed; I couldn't get myself to bring it up with my T at the time.
Elio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Lostislost